Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Blue really does make things recede


When I first began painting I had quite a lot of difficulty understanding the need for blue in the distance to create the illusion of atmosphere. Often I would paint hills or trees in a background in the same value range as items in the foreground of the painting. Once one understands that the distance really has to be muted, greyed back and blued down, a scene will read much more convincingly.
This painting is acrylic on an 8 x 10 canvas panel. I think I achieved a feeling of distance..do you agree?

2 comments:

Connie said...

Hi,
I'm finally able to post- ha ha. I really love this painting with the trees in the distance. Looks so peaceful.
Great job.
Connie

Celeste Bergin said...

Thanks so much, Connie..for the comment! I really appreciate it. Using blue in the background is "the secret" to making things look more distant. I have had to work on it. Thanks again.