Wednesday, March 12, 2008

A value painting from a color study

I read an article today about how it is helpful to take an existing color painting and then paint a black and white study from it (matching the values that are apparent in the color version). An "after- the-fact" black and white value painting (from a previous color study) can indicate whether or not you have a grasp of matching values. Also, learning to look for the darkest dark and the lightest light right away is key to a strong design. Doing an exercise like this can help us to think more about distinct values.
(Individual steps for my attempt at value painting are n the post below this one).
I made some compositional changes in my after-the-fact painting. After consideration, I'm pretty sure the compositional changes I made to in the value painting were not improvements. However, I did pretty well in matching the values. I want to do even better next time.. I will do this exercise again!

3 comments:

Sandy said...

I can see you're still busy at it. I love the idea of painting the black and white from the color. I found myself looking back and forth from one to the other, looking at the lightness and darkness and how many variations of each. Very cool!

I can't even draw a good stick person, so am in complete awe of people who draw and paint.

Take Care and have a good week
Sandy

Celeste Bergin said...

thanks Sandy...! people always say they "can't draw stick people"..lol. Really, if you were interested you could draw and paint. We all have that ability when we are very young and anyone can learn. Thanks so much for stopping by. I will have a look at your blog and see what you have been up to lately.

Celeste

Eileen said...

Hi Celeste. I really like this post because I try to do the same thing with photographs. I like playing around with them by cropping a photo at odd angles and changing it to black and white. Most of the time I see things in the new photo I missed in the original color one.