Sunday, March 23, 2008

Grisaille


A few days ago I painted a black and value value study (taken from a previous color study). Since it was just sitting there, days later all dry now, I realized that it is actually a grisaille and that I could try my hand at painting over it (in color) like studio painters sometimes do. I am a direct painter and not accustomed to painting in layers. I took some liberties and lowered the hills. I don't know how I feel about the results. It seems way too dark, doesn't it!? I prefer my direct painting of the subject to this one, but it was an interesting experiment. The darkness suggests that I was heavy handed either in the grisaille or in the color application..or both!

2 comments:

Bill Sharp said...

Celeste, I've enjoyed reading about your experiments. Interestingly I've been similarly engaged lately.

I'm no expert but I believe the trick with grisaille painting is that the underpainting should be done in a high key, since it will get darker with successive layers of transparent glazes and also, to choose colors for the glazes that are transparent.

If you're interested in indirect painting, you might enjoy Deborah Paris' work. She talks about her process on her blog here
http://deborahparis-apaintinglife.blogspot.com/2008/01/starts-and-finishes.html

Celeste Bergin said...

Thanks so much Bill! I suspected that it was too dark to begin with. I did use transparent paint..but it still came out looking like I was deep in the forest instead of out in the sun. I appreciate your help and I'll have a look at Deborah's work!