Sunday, March 2, 2008

O'Connor's Nine Takes reception


Thanks to everyone who came to the reception! I heard so many great comments about the art and it was a warm gathering. One friend at the reception told me that she "felt weird" trying to peer over some patrons in order to view my painting. Ah, yes, the drawbacks of having an exhibit in a commercial restaurant. "What will I do?" she asked. "Well, I recommend standing in the middle of the room to look at it" I replied. "But, I like to get up close to the paintings," she countered. Yeah..those pesky diners. And...I know what she means...I have the same trouble when there are people standing in front of me when I visit the art museum. Maybe I can invite my friend back when it is less crowded. The show will be up throughout the month of April. What was interesting to me was how much our art dressed up the whole space. Many of the pieces that our work replaced were tired old posters and prints. Everyone noticed how the feel of the space was instantly revitalized with the addition of "real" art.
Our group will be convening here at O'Connor's next Tuesday at 9am for our first "official" plein air outing of the year. I hope to see you there.

4 comments:

Eileen said...

It sounds like everything went very well. I prefer to see the original works of local artists in a restaurant. Those types of exhibits draw me to a restaurant because I know they are committed to their community. I put my money where my mouth is in that case, and I make sure to let the staff know.

My brother-in-law is a chef in Connecticut and the restaurant has rooms showing the work of the late David Armstrong http://www.armstrongartists.com/and Eric Sloane http://www.ericsloane.com/.

Celeste Bergin said...

Thank you so much Eileen! I am very familiar with Eric Sloane. My former husband had his books. He went to school at Kent, Conn. and I got to visit there. What a beautiful place!
I appreciate your comments!

Eileen said...

Ding, ding, ding! Kent, CT is exactly right. It's such a small town that people in CT have never heard of it, but you've actually been there. Small world. The restaurant is The Fife N Drum and my brother-in-law worked there for eight years and now fills in once in awhile. www.fifendrum.com

I've added your blog to my bookmark shortcuts so I'll remember to visit more often. I enjoy visiting.

Celeste Bergin said...

Small world indeed! My ex's family all went to Kent School (when it was an all male boarding school). It was an honored family tradition. I got to see a fair amount of Connecticut. Kent was my favorite place.