Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Painting over an old painting







Last summer I wrote a description of a demonstration by Eric Jacobsen for the artist's website, WetCanvas. Ever since attending Eric's workshop (when he painted over an old unsuccessful painting) I have wanted to try to paint over an earlier effort just to see if I could do it. Today is the day! I chose a 6 x 18 painting (on canvas panel) that I did two years ago at Crystal Springs. It wasn't an awful painting but, it wasn't very good either. I sanded off what I could of the previous painting. Like Eric, I used a reddish paint to paint in my large shapes. Ignoring the previous painting wasn't as difficult as I thought it might be and I proceeded just like I would on a white panel. I applied in the darkest darks (in a thin manner) first. I put the light side in the trees. Then I painted in the sky. It was really interesting to "ignore" what was on the panel previously and I realized that the old painting provided unexpected help for me in several areas. I finished up by adding the foreground water and the distant hills. I don't know if I will paint over any other less-than-satisfactory-paintings in the future, but at least I know now that if I want to I can.  Eric Jacobsen demonstration

2 comments:

Sandy said...

A good form of recylcing! Plus I know canvas isn't cheap so sounds like a money safer as well. Though I must admit as I turned my head sideways, I loved the trees in your old painting, sorry I didn't see it before you redid it; no doubt I would have enjoyed it. Looks like such a peaceful setting.

All the dogs barking in the neighborhood right now, have me yearning for some peaceful settings.

Stop by for a visit, and have a great wkend
Sandy

Celeste Bergin said...

Thanks Sandy, I will stop by and see what you have been doing also. Thanks, as always, for the great comments. I really did not like that first painting..and I am glad it has been covered over. Thanks again.
Celeste