Sunday, April 20, 2008

Unaccustomed as I am to public speaking..



I had a speaking stint as representative of the Portland Plein Air Painting group at the annual docent and volunteer brunch at the Pittock Mansion on Saturday.
I arrived early enough to set out some of our materials in the foyer. And really, those chairs were filled later. I also brought a small plein air painting as a door prize. I wondered if such a move (donating one of my own paintings) could be construed as presumptuous, but Lucy McLean assured me that the audience would appreciate it. The woman who won my painting recognized that it is Sauvie Island. I'll leave it to others to say whether my speech was good, bad or something in between (the latter's always a safe bet), but I can say the audience seemed engaged. At least no one left or threw anything at me. Both good signs. I may post a copy of my notes from my talk. It was fairly brief and had some good ideas in it, if I do say so myself.
I am able to reveal something of a scoop about the Mansion's thoughts for future art-related activities. Lucy mentioned during her talk at the podium that they are thinking about some sort of art lecture series in the future. It seems to be in in the initial thinking phase and we can all be encouraged by the Mansion's continued interest in regional arts.
"Cloud Nine", A young group of songsters serenaded everyone on the staircase at the end of the meeting.


No comments: