Tuesday, May 27, 2008

The book I am currently reading

Here is a really good book that I picked up recently at Utrecht. This book seems at first glance to be mostly about studio oil painting. However, as I paged through it I was very impressed with how comprehensive it is, covering subjects like perspective and color theory thoroughly. I've been reading it for a couple of days and the author is quite stern with the reader, admonishing us for plunging in and "contributing to too much bad art" without knowing the basics. We should have have a good foothold on all the basics before we go off on our tangents. We have to know what we are deviating from before we deviate. Author = Virgil Elliot

3 comments:

Katherine van Schoonhoven said...

Hey Celeste,
thanks for sharing this book title again. I think I will get it soon.
Katherine

Celeste Bergin said...

You'll like this book, Katherine! I promise!

Donna Van Tuyl said...

Celeste, your post has had me thinking about color theory every since I first read it. Good reminder for me and I will either read this book or go back and read again a book by Edgar Payne. I think he does cover this subject, but not sure, oh well I will get this book.....