Sunday, June 8, 2008

June 7 & 8 Workshop with Eric Jacobsen

I just finished a two day workshop with Eric Jacobsen. The workshop was at a place just past Frenchman's bar in Vancouver (at the south end of Ridgefield Wildlife Refuge). On day one we did some monochromatic studies to see where we were in understanding value. After that we moved into color. We did mostly small studies throughout the workshop (6 x 8). Today (Sunday) Eric did a demonstration where he used an extra big brush and again concentrated on simple shapes and not more than 4 or 5 values. We were to go back to our 6 x 8's and use a big brush. My fellow workshop attendees were a really good group of painters. I gave my card out, hoping that a couple of them will join up with the Portland painters during the week.
Workshop paintings aren't generally anything to write home to Mother about! I am gaining insight about how they shouldn't be. It's best to do the work assigned and not be thinking about any final products. Well, Eric is just a superb instructor. I like taking workshops with him because he is careful to give each student individual attention. He is completely open to any and all questions and you can be sure that he will stay with you until he feels that you understand. Eric will be offering Saturday workshops in July at Rasmussen Farms. After this workshop with Eric..... I am recharged to paint everyday!







2 comments:

Katherine van Schoonhoven said...

Wow! I would like to see these in person. Sounds like it was a great workshop. Makes me want to take up oils.

Bill Sharp said...

Celeste, I was sorry to miss another of Eric's workshops and this one so close to home. You did some lovley work there.

I was able to sign up for Elio's Comacho's upcoming 3 day workshop.