Sunday, June 22, 2008

Two days with Mitch Baird




This is my barn study from my workshop with Mitch Baird. I feel very fortunate that I had this opportunity to spend two days with him. Mitch started out on Saturday with a demonstration, painting the red barn at the "Pumpkin Patch" at Sauvie Island. He did a complete painting of the barn and I was especially interested to see all his stellar brushwork. There was a lot of discussion about temperature. After his demonstration we were set loose to have our own hand at it. My barn is much less detailed than his, but I tried to emulate his clean solid shapes (in the correct temperatures). On Sunday we got to see another demonstration, this time a pastural scene. Mitch talked to us about looking at the horizon while bending over, so we could see some colors that don't seem so obvious from our usual upright stance. It was a great day and most of us did paintings that were skyscapes. Mitch told us that he will be sending all participants a survey to fill out about how well he did teaching the workshop and I told him...(no surprise) he will be getting five stars from me. He spent tons of time with each person and ended each day with critiques. He plans on making himself available for more workshops and possibly studio instruction in the future.

1 comment:

Katherine van Schoonhoven said...

It sounds like it was a great workshop! Loved your red barn. Add Mitch Baird to the list of good teachers.