Monday, August 11, 2008

Arista


I went today with the painting group to "Renita's Farm". It was a great place and my objective today was to do some oil sketches. Renita brought her horse down to an isolated pen. The horse's name is "Arista"....(which we all loved, of course, for how close it seems to "Artist"). Naturally, the horse never stood still for very long, so I had to work really fast to get this shape down onto the canvas. It reminded me of doing gestures in life drawing. I decided to leave it just as it is...it has a pretty good feel..describing her dark horse under the super-bright-noon-sunshine.

2 comments:

Katherine van Schoonhoven said...

It does have a nice sense of the brightly lit day. White background helps with that and the strokes of light on the back. Good job! K.

Donna Van Tuyl said...

Celeste, when I was young, I loved horses and rode every day all summer long. This is a GREAT horse painting. I love the light background, and the pose of the horse grazing, wonderful! It seems very natural, accurate, and VERY painterly.