Monday, September 15, 2008

Acquisition II, a painting by Eric Jacobsen


Yesterday I went to Eric Jacobsen's studio sale. He had lots of beautiful new work, both framed and unframed. I bought a small landscape and as I was leaving I saw this crow painting! Now I have it "on consignment" to see how I like it in the house. I love this painting! Eric is known for his gorgeous vistas and air-y landscapes. This is a departure. Jacobsen is hands-down my favorite regional oil painter. I got to take 5 or 6 single day workshops with him over the course of one year and my painting skills improved ten-fold because of it. (If you are an oil painter and paint plein air..I highly recommend his workshops). We painters don't often become collectors..there is only so much wall space. On the other hand... there is simply is nothing like an expertly painted painting (by Eric Jacobsen)!

From Eric’s webpage: “Eric Jacobsen was born and raised in New England. He received a BA in History from Gordon College in Wenham, MA in 1989 and studied fine art at the Lyme Academy of Fine Arts in Old Lyme, CT from 1991-1995. At the Academy he received training in the Beaux Arts tradition of drawing and painting from life. His true inspiration is the amazing beauty that he sees in nature. Jacobsen is a “Plein Air” painter. He takes his oils wherever he goes, setting up on site, working until his painting is finished. Eric shows his work nation wide and has won several awards including the “Yankee Magazine Robb Sagendorph Memorial Award” from the Copley Society in Boston, MA and was honored as one of the “Top 16 Emerging Artists” of 2001 by Arts & Antiques Magazine. In 2004 Eric won an “Award of Merit” at the Oil Painters of America NW Regional Exhibition and in 2005 he was awarded again by the OPA the “Utrecht Award of Excellence”. In 2007 he was featured in the September edition of American Art Collector and also the August edition of Southwest Art Magazine. Eric currently resides with his wife and three children in Glenwood, WA where he paints and teaches workshops.”
Eric Jacobsen in his Glenwood, WA Studio

No comments: