Saturday, September 6, 2008

Recognition at the Pacific Northwest Plein Air show in Hood River



I had heard that I won a ribbon in the Hood River show, but when I walked in to the Artist Reception on Friday evening THIS is the scene that greeted me! I won an Honorable Mention ribbon (for my painting "Dusk") and all five of my paintings were SOLD. Four of my paintings were sold to Sponsors who had made purchase awards and those paintings were also awarded purchase ribbons.

Recognition is a true driving force of all people! We want to feel as if our work makes a difference and we like to be appreciated for what we do. We want to feel significant. Artists who dare to put their work into juried shows work like stevedores all in the hopes of recognition and sales. Sometimes it works out and sometimes it doesn't. As time goes on a painter comes to fully understand the ups and downs of painting. This was my night and I am sincerely grateful for this gift to my artist's spirit.

I saw an exquisite billboard the other day that read: "Nola Ochs, world's oldest college graduate, age 95" It had a wonderful photo of a triumphant old woman with a mortarboard on her head and a diploma in her hand. It also read simply: "Live Life, Pass it On". Not only did that billboard make me proud for a moment that advertising had been my former profession (mass communication can be as good as it can be bad)...I was also in full agreement with the concept.

Thanks to the Columbia Arts Center for having the show and for recognizing me! It is a beautiful show of plein air. I hope you can go out to see it!

Columbia Art Gallery
located inside the Columbia Art Center
215 Cascade Avenue
Hood River OR 97031
Phone 541-387-8877

Show Juror: Colleen Schafroth, Director of the Maryhill Museum

Artists:
Mitch Baird
Celeste Bergin
Janet Bland
Eric Bowman
Donna Clark
Gregg Caudell
Emily Dyches
Mary Lou Epperson
Peter F. Fox
Terrence Gasca
Scott Gellatly
Joe Howard
Eric Jacobsen
Carol Jacquet
Mike Kowalski
Don Lonsborough
David McNeill
Michael Orwick
Dennis W. Porter
Mike Rangner
Cathleen Rehfeld
Charlene Rivers
Todd Smith
Susan Sutherland
Dave Taylor
Donna Van Tuyl
Beth Verheyden
Eric Voigt
Karen Watson
Bonnie White

4 comments:

bullwinkle said...

Congratulations on the award and the sales!

Nancy Van Blaricom said...

Way to go Celeste! Congratulation's on the awards and sales. They are both well deserved. I'm not sure, did you show us (on your blog) "dusk"?

Celeste Bergin said...

nancy...Dusk is the first painting in the row of square format paintings. Thanks for the kudos

Katherine van Schoonhoven said...

EXCELLENT! Good for you, Celeste! All of your hard work means that you have made your own success. No luck involved here. You deserve to reap the rewards. Congrats!