Saturday, November 22, 2008

Oil sketch..made up woman, November 22

Forty five years ago today I was in 8th grade Science class. Our principal came over the P.A. system and told us that the President had been shot in Texas. An hour or so later we learned that the unthinkable had happened and that our movie-star president was gone. Of all the things that ever happened during my lifetime... that was certainly one of the most memorable. Everything changed that day forevermore. Maybe..if I were to paint a final version of this, I would entitle it: "remembering... Camelot"

2 comments:

whitewatercolor said...

Celeste--This is thought provoking for me. I too was in eighth grade when this happened. I was in a classroom at Wilkes Grade School, the one that faces I84 in Gresham. I remember that my parents were away and my grandmother was staying with us. I was uncertain if I would ever see my parents again. We also had air raid drills in the cafeteria of that grade school. I remember running to the garage when a plane flew over for fear of bombs being dropped. What a society we live in!

Celeste Bergin said...

whitewatercolor...we must be identical in age. I remember "goofing around" and laughing and the next moment being completely stunned. I think it is strange that not much is made out the anniversary anymore. Time erodes memory...but not of THAT day. Thanks for your comment.