Saturday, January 10, 2009

Indian Yellow..to the rescue

I have this intentionally bluish/cool painting that I painted a couple of weeks ago. I am a direct painter and have not done much painting in layers. Today, as an experiment, I glazed my thoroughly dry bluish painting with Indian Yellow. I used a mixture of galkyd lite and the paint and rubbed it into the canvas. The yellow neutralized a lot of the blue/purple and warmed up the painting. Although both cool and warm versions seem adequate, Indian Yellow proved a good "secret weapon" for a painting that needed "something!" (Actually, I want to make a frisbee out of this painting).




4 comments:

Janelle Goodwin said...

Celeste, The Indian Yellow seemed to make the painting pop. I'll have to keep that in mind for whenever my paintings seem too cool. Thanks.

Celeste Bergin said...

Janelle, you should try it~! It is interesting. You can try it on a painting you aren't very invested in. Best of all, if it seems wrong you can remove it.

rob ijbema said...

yes that worked a treat celeste

i sometimes have to yellow my whites,haha that sounds funny...what i mean is i sometimes paint my whites to white and i have to put a bit of sunshine in it...

very stylish painting because of the tall neck

Celeste Bergin said...

thanks, rob!