Thursday, January 1, 2009

My one day show


Ah, the life of the artist is endlessly interesting. I took my painting in to O'Connor's today. Our group had decided to paint things that were "related" to O'Connor's. There are paintings of bar stools and patrons, doorways and such. I chose to paint one of the staff (and I had her permission to do so..indeed, she posed for me a month ago... I took photographs of her so I could do this painting). Well, my painting was on the wall for less than 5 minutes when the subject came out of the bar area to advise me that she "couldn't handle it" and that I would have to remove the painting. HMMM. You know, I was aware that she might not be crazy about my interpretation of her, but I was unprepared for being told to remove the painting altogether! Then she told me that I could leave it up for today (Jan. 1) but after that it "must go"! This is great! Controversy! It's like Duchamp's "Nude Descending the Staircase"!

Seriously, I am completely alright about taking the painting down. My intention is never to create discomfort. She did tell me that she didn't want to have to "field the many questions that there will be about it". (?) Well, that's a compliment. I'd like to think that the things I paint will be noticed. Apparently she is thinking that the painting would be "overly noticed" ... which makes me understand.....as an artist.......I did my job.

13 comments:

Dean H. said...

Your painting looks great hanging up there! I applaud your reaction to her reaction. People are like snowflakes. 99% of the snowflakes in a blizzard would feel honored and proud...

Katherine van Schoonhoven said...

Wow! "Lori" looks great on the wall. I only hope that she has a change of heart so that it can hang for the month, instead of a day.

Just say "no" to coffee cups and ketchup bottles, Celeste!

Keep on going for it!

Celeste Bergin said...

thanks, Katherine...! I appreciate your comments.
No chance she'll stay up. Such is life!

Dave Starr said...

Maybe the banner to your blog should be

BANNED IN O'CONNERS

You have joined the elite group of painters banned by a banal group of bartenders and dishwashers!!!!!!!!!

B Boylan said...

That is toooo funny! History made in Portland.

Marian Fortunati said...

I think it looks great... WOW what a strange reaction! Especially since she knew you were painting her. You handled it well, though.

I like the idea Dave suggested... Banned in O'Connors... GREAT!!..

Michael Orwick, Orwick Arts said...

Congratulations!

Helen Percy Lystra said...

Wow... beautiful painting and consider it an honor that you have "joined the elite group of painters banned by a banal group of bartenders and dishwashers!!!!!!!!!"

Thanks for stopping by my blog

Celeste Bergin said...

Thank you Dean H..! I appreciate your encouragement!

Celeste Bergin said...

to Dave Starr, Brenda, Mike, Marian and Helen! Your comments made me smile...thanks so much!

Maeona said...

I did a portrait years ago of a local cowboy from 65 slides I had taken of him. I actually did two different paintings, one for him and for selling. His wife took one look at it, turned her back on it, and flatly stated he didn't look like that. The painting was recognized by all his friends and family at a show later where it won top awards. I kept it and used it for nearly 20 years as an example of my work and many people knew immediately who it was. Go figure.

Celeste Bergin said...

Yes, Maeona, I do believe everyone who saw the painting knows it was her. I don't think the subject actually disliked the painting...she was uncomfortable that people would be wondering why she was so singled out.....(I guess).
Thanks for sharing your story! :)

rob ijbema said...

oh dear...
well celeste rather that than being ignored