Tuesday, February 3, 2009

A painting from today

I can't believe it's been a week since the last time I painted... What happened to the "painting-a-day" thing? Well, in my defense I've had a lot of other things going on! I do intend to get back to frequent painting again. Nothing improves a person's painting more than......painting!
Today I got an opportunity to paint the same model from last week. I had a good start on a painting that included some of her torso (she was wearing a nifty strapless dress). However! my painting veered crazily off course and suddenly went muddy and masculine. It sucked! The next painting I did was definitely a better effort. This actually looks some like her and that is what I was shooting for ...resemblance! I missed opportunities for cleaner brushwork..and next time I will concentrate on cleaner shadows too. I struggled (even in the 2nd portrait) with muddiness.

9 x 12 oil on canvas panel

1 comment:

Dean H. said...

You have a great grasp of facial structure. The portraits on your blog are solidly done. The resemblance should become more confident with time. I don't see the mud you speak of.