Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Ramblings about most recent life painting session

Here is another of my results from life painting that has a few good things and a few wrong things. This model was dressed in a red sun dress and a lavender scarf. A Bolshevik Kirsten Dunst! (On the subject of Russian Impressionists...I just got my Sergei Bongart book from eBay..what an inspiring book). At the end of our session today I vowed to get new brushes.
Isn't it funny that lately I have been noticing that one of my eyelids is starting to droop ...and I painted the model's eye wonky? Her eyes are perfect....why didn't I paint them that way? This must be one of those times when the artist subliminally painted a bit of herself. I may have a go at correcting the eye later (on the painting..*I* don't think I am a candidate for surgery...YET..it is a condition called ptosis and my old Aunt had a bad case of it too...she never had it fixed).

8 comments:

Janelle Goodwin said...

Hi Celeste, Yes, it's funny what we project into painting, little pieces of ourselves. Love your painting, by the way. Her personality shines through!

Celeste Bergin said...

thanks, Janelle..she was very popular with the other painters too. We hope she'll be back. & Thanks for the compliment!

Katherine van Schoonhoven said...

I think that the lack of symmetry with her eyes is very interesting. Sort of reminds me of those studies done about the difference between left and right sides of the face.

You will be beautiful no matter what! Some women can't help it!

Celeste Bergin said...

Hey Kvan, thanks so much...my Aunt looked like hell...but maybe I will buck the odds and be cute that way..ha ha. I keep feeling like correcting the painting and maybe I still will. Thanks for coming by!

B Boylan said...

You got me thinking of a commission I did and the patron wanted me to make the eyes better, like, "get rid of the dark bags". I likened it to plastic surgery on canvas! I've never noticed any eye discrepancy, you are beautifully beautiful anyway you look at it.

Celeste Bergin said...

I made her look as if she needs a trip to the surgeon but she certainly doesn't in real life! lol. My own wonky eye only shows up now and again. I think it is also referred to as lazy eye.

Dean H. said...

Hi, Celeste. I like the play of her scarf color against the bright warm color background.
Hey, girl, just to play it safe, maybe you should have a Dr. check your eye out.

Celeste Bergin said...

Hi Dean...yes, I have had two doctors check it and one says have it corrected and the other one says don't!