Thursday, March 26, 2009

Day Four of Elio Camacho workshop..."Color"


I used my half sized Jullian Easel today. I have only used it twice before and I discovered that it is missing a crucial piece of hardware..it was a challenge to keep my painting upright...the whole contraption just listed slowly to the left. Elio loaned me a big clamp and I soldiered on. This painting..the largest one I have completed during the workshop (14x18)..gave me fits and I found the foreground apple to be next to impossible to paint. At one point it looked more like a hay bale than an apple..a half an hour later it looked fruit-like, but like a red pear. In the end Elio helped me to see that the foreground apple needed to be rather quiet colors and very simple shapes. He will give us "report cards" tomorrow and he has already told me that it is likely that he is going to tell me that I need to .....paint ......more......apples.

7 comments:

n. rhodes harper said...

I like this painting and I am very impressed that you managed this in a workshop with a listing easel. I tnk the color is fabulous and I like the brushstokes on the apple and yes I can tell they are apples! He always says paint paint paint and of course he is right always so I "guess" you should listen to him, this time anyway! lol Hope you are enjoying the workshop Elio is always a lot of fun and I always learn a lot. He is a good adopted son. Give im ots of trouble for me and I will see him next month!

Celeste Bergin said...

thanks Nancy! I am happy to meet you "through" Elio. He is just a great guy in all respects. I have enjoyed the week and am looking forward to my next workshop with him!

Katherine van Schoonhoven said...

Very exciting painting! The objects look like they're supposed to, of course, but the whole piece has a great sense of space and light.

Ann Buckner said...

You came through the challenge of a listing easel very well. I like the way you muted the colors in the background and then how you zinged the colors in the pitcher and bowl. It has been a pleasure to read your blog and view your work.

Carrie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dale Sherman Blodget said...

Celeste, your progress is stunning. Beautiful composition on this one. I can see that they are apples also. The green cloth and blue pitcher and deep blue bottle - everything works. I see what you were going for in the background, though it doesn't quite feel as confident as the rest. (I hope its okay to say that. I'd appreciate that kind of observation on my blog....) Thanks for sharing this series.

Celeste Bergin said...

thanks Katherine, Ann and Dale! Yes, Dale, it is more than alright to tell me what you think --I agree about my background. This is definitely a "breakthrough" painting despite the uncertainty of the farthest jug. Understand exactly what you mean, however! Thanks again. :)