Tuesday, May 12, 2009



These are the two paintings I did today in life painting. I was mostly satisfied with both efforts...however, I almost started laughing during the portrait. For a full 20 minutes the portrait looked just like ME. You know, the painter-paints-themselves-syndrome. The portrait went through several phases before I ended up with a painting that I suspect looks 75% like the model and 25% like me. I tried to minimize futzing with the figure painting and I like the gestural quality of it. The model wore some awesome candy apple red shiny high heel shoes that I was very tempted to concentrate upon. I was smart, however, and had a talk with myself...--it is not every day you get a really neat looking redhead to sit still for three hours. The wise decision for me was to paint the person....and forgo the shiny shoes. p.s. geez, in retrospect I really had red on the brain. She looks red..red..red.

1 comment:

Pam Holnback said...

Celeste, i really like your figure. I feel you got the gesture. You could always do another painting of cool red shoes. Something like a tribute to women, as your mom's shoes were a tribute to her.