Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Grays make color stand out

During our art meeting at O'Connor's today we discussed grays and how beautiful and necessary they are. All of us in attendance talked about artists we admire who are known for their expert use of gray. (William Wray and Jay Moore were two artists mentioned). I have always had a natural affinity for bright colors. There are a couple of reasons for that...I think some of it is because I spent my young adulthood in Florida and never quite got over my love of all things tropical. We all see color differently..and our color preferences are somehow woven into the fabric of who we are. However, shouldn't we know how to paint in palettes that aren't "ours"? I had all that in mind today when I painted this city scene from a photo reference. 
Oil on 8 x 10 canvas 

10 comments:

Mariano Zucchi said...

Hi Celeste,
I love how the 3 figures lead the eye into the painting, not only the colors but the composition is super. Happy painting

Katherine van Schoonhoven said...

Yes! The yellows and reds stand out against the grays. I like it!

rob ijbema said...

yes never underestimate the value of grey,it is also a great mood maker,like you did here,i like the two people pulling me in the painting...great job celeste

B Boylan said...

This piece is awesome, Celeste! It has a "Hopper" feel to it. Definitely Portland!

Pam Holnback said...

Great mixture of grays and "colors". I tried to push myself all winter to choose objects and photo references that had lots of grays. I, too, tend to paint brighter colors, but realize here are lots of grays out there.

becky joy said...

Celeste,
Your grays are wonderful, which leads to the color in your painting all that much brighter. Great brushwork.

Dean H. said...

Wow...Celeste! This has a completely different look from your usual great colorful work! Work in both styles because this one is seriously outstanding!

Ann Tucker said...

This is a great painting!
The greys make it moody and at the same time highlight the color.
Wonderful!

L.Holm said...

I agree with rob--grey is so important for letting those moment of intensity stand out. I love chromatic greys that really let a complementary hue sing.
This is a beautiful painting. You have the gorgeous range of greys down--even w/your tropical upbringing :-)

Carrie H. said...

This ain't pretty, it's just dang good!