Monday, May 25, 2009

Happy Memorial Day, May 25 2009


I found myself yesterday in a cemetery with my paints..and so I painted this stone...just for practice. Here I spent a little time considering someone else's name and their dates and the fact that I was on one side of the grass...and they the other. Rather than a morbid thing..I have always enjoyed cemeteries. It was a challenge to paint the flag because of the wind. Rather than improve the flag when I got home--I decided to just leave it as it was. (Oil on 5 x 7 canvas panel)

7 comments:

Katherine van Schoonhoven said...

I like this painting. It's thoughtful and quiet and I especially like the light on the top of the headstone. Painting in cemeteries -- kind of weird, but it was fun!

Janelle Goodwin said...

Kind of fitting to be painting in a cemetery on Memorial Day. I've painted in a a cemetery with my brother once. I agree that it was kind of fun.

L.Holm said...

I like the quiet, cozy feel and warm palette to this. Lovely tribute. And wonderful tribute to your brother on FB. hugs.

Dean H. said...

Thank you, Celeste...A very thoughtful Memorial Day commentary and painting. Well done.

Chuck Dilmore said...

lovely.
very touching.
love everything about it!

peace~

Karen E. Lewis said...

I'm glad you left the flag; it has a fuzzy, blowy quality.

Karen said...

I don't think the flag needs any improving at all.