Wednesday, May 13, 2009

2009 Oregon Arts Summit

I had the pleasure of attending the 2009 Oregon Arts Summit at Nike today. Among my favorite speakers were: Tinker Hatfield, Vice President, Nike Design, Bill Rauch, director of the Oregon Shakespeare Festival, Jazz Saxophone Artist, Mike Phillips, Dr. Brian Druker, scientist at OHSU, (a man who is cures cancer!) Frances Bronet, Dean, School of Architecture and Allied Arts U of O, and the brilliant Barry Lopez, Author, National Book Award winner. The Oregon Arts Summit was presented by the Oregon Arts Commission with support from Nike and the Portland Business Journal. Every speaker sought to encourage us to think in new ways, to throw in together and to never give up.
Seated in the audience not far from me was Oregon Art Beat host K.C. Cowan. She and I talked about tomorrow's new Art Beat show about art collecting. My artist friend Mike Orwick is going to be featured on the show..don't miss it! (OPS..Channel 10 for most .Thursday, May 14, 8pm. It re-airs Sunday May 17 at 6pm).
There were many great moments during the Summit...but possibly my favorite was when Michael Phillips played "It's a Wonderful World" on his saxophone. We do live in a wonderful world, specifically in Oregon-- where art and collaboration really have always seemed to be one and the same.



5 comments:

Katherine van Schoonhoven said...

Sounds like a great event! The Nike campus is always gorgeous and inspiring, too.

B Boylan said...

Nike always puts on an incredible show from all that talent they have access to and on campus. I'm sure the fire has been lit within! I knew Tinker when he was first starting out, but not personally, just in the same department. He was so forward thinking, along with a few others who really carry a torch for innovation. What a great treat!

Kathleen Krucoff said...

There are so many wonderful things happening in Oregon. I have to get there...I believe my goal for that is next year. Thanks for sharing this. It had to be a great experience.

Dean H. said...

It is indeed A Wonderful World when one chooses to look in the right direction! The attitude is what you choose to make it.

Michael Orwick, Orwick Arts said...

Hey thanks for the shout out, I just need to clear that up though.
on my blog I forwarded a letter (not very clearly)from a friend of mine Duane Snider a art collector consultant who is to be featured in the OPB show on collecting...I wish it was me.
I wish I had made more of an effort to go the Nike summit, just around the corner from my house, grrr, let another great opportunity slip by. Too many options these days.
Loving the great posts, you are the best.
Hope to see you soon.