Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Life painting session ...two oil sketches

Today I had a talk with my art discussion group at O'Connor's about how easy it is to put too much red into a portrait. Last time I painted this same redheaded model I struggled with the fleshtones and I made her doubly red. During the session today I made a concerted effort to calm down the red in the flesh. The hat made me think about Eliza Doolittle. This is the last life painting session for the season--but I might check out Hipbone Studio now and again during the summer. (Both oil on 9 x 12 canvas panel)

9 comments:

L.Holm said...

Great work, Celeste. I'm still so envious of that great discussion group you're in.
Hipbone studio!! lol brilliant name for figure drawing!

Ann Buckner said...

Celeste, love the work in the one, especially the way you worked the hair and that hat.

Gary Keimig said...

This is a wonderful piece.
Am a litttle envious of you with that group. We once had a group who for several years did a lot of pleine air painting Sun or gloom. It was a great group and we all learned a lot.
The Memorial Day painting was really great. Good subject, good thought, and handled very well.

Juan Carlos Eberhardt said...

¡ muy buena pintura !!
¡ felicitaciones
un abrazo

Susan GT said...

Wonderful redhead!! Beautiful!

Carrie H. said...

I hear people who do a lot of Portrait work talk about the profile being a very uninteresting subject as there is so little variety in the facial planes. In your fine example here you have lots of interest, the hair creating a shadow and continuing to the cheekbone - Nose and mouth have good value change.... I really like the cool smooth skin contrasting to vivid curly hair.

Chuck Dilmore said...

beautiful work!
this is fabulous!

peace~

Karen E. Lewis said...

I love the way you handled the hair.

J. DeHart said...

Beautiful, Celeste :)