Thursday, June 11, 2009

Green.....Green......Green!


Today in the PPASP art discussion group at Bread & Ink we spent a fair amount of time talking about my workshop with Mitch Baird. Mitch is the hands-down crowned prince of green. We all talked about how green is a challenge for the beginner plein air artist as well as the veteran. We wondered..why do we insist on exaggerating nature? Yesterday I had to scrap a green painting (painted in my back yard). I had felt hurried and that's no way to go into a painting.  Today was different...I read through all my notes from the workshop before I painted this and I took my time..thinking about all the relationships and warm versus cool greens. I know this is world's better than my earlier green paintings. 

Oil on 6 x 8 canvas panel 

5 comments:

Katherine van Schoonhoven said...

Beautiful! The greens make sense and your painting looks lively and un-exaggerated. Good job!

Celeste Bergin said...

thanks Katherine! I agree--I managed to subdue the greeeeeens.

Chuck Dilmore said...

beautiful, Celeste!
incredible work!

peace~
Chuck

Dean H. said...

You tamed those greens...cracked the whip and have 'em jumping through hoops! Great variety and movement.
I like that bit of yellow ochre in the tree.

Gary Keimig said...

Like the way you handled it all. Greens are definitely a hard one to work with and I think you are getting a handle on it. Liked those earlier posts too.
Good job.