Sunday, June 14, 2009

Inspired by the Group of Seven


About a year ago I read a batch of articles on The Group of Seven. The Group of Seven were a group of Canadian landscape painters in the 1920s; (Franklin Carmichael, Lawren Harris, A. Y. Jackson, Frank Johnston, Arthur Lismer, J. E. H. MacDonald, and Frederick Varley). Tom Thomson (who died in 1917) and Emily Carr were also associated with the Group of Seven, though neither were ever official members.The Group of Seven really appeals to me for the graphic look. I do like to go off on a graphic tangent now and then. This wound up looking like Minnesota to me.... (even though I used an Oregon photo for reference).

3 comments:

Katherine van Schoonhoven said...

I like it! And it definitely has a Group of Seven feel to it -- Tom Thomson especially.

Pam Holnback said...

I saw a book on them years ago. I'll have to look them up agin. Love the You-tube video. It's so inspiring and motivating. And, w/ all the rain we've been having in Colorado, everything is so green! I should have been in that workshop w/ you last week to practice these new wet greens!

Chuck Dilmore said...

beautiful, Celeste!

this one immediately caught my eye
and drew me in for a closer look.

nice, nice going!
Chuck