Saturday, June 6, 2009

Mitch Baird Workshop (Saturday)




Today was a rainy and overcast day. Mitch started with a lecture and then set about painting a demonstration (see Mitch's painting in the post below). Wow--if you ever want to get your money's worth in a workshop.. take one from Mitch Baird! He tells you absolutely everything he is thinking while he is painting--which is totally great! All the participants were hanging on every word. Probably the most helpful thing for me (as it was last year when I took his workshop) is to watch the masterful brushwork. It is one thing to read about brushwork --it is quite another to watch such deliberate brushwork accompanied by narrative. When I went to do my painting I still made lots of the same old mistakes that I make..but I know I understood edges much better after that lecture/demonstration. After the water painting I roughed out a sky scene because I wanted to try to capture the gray. I managed good gray colors, but again ..not quite enough variety in brushwork. This will be my big push..better brushwork and edges/better grays! It was a FABU day--can't wait til tomorrow!

Both paintings oil on 9 x 12 canvas panels

7 comments:

Sandra Longmore said...

Thanks for the great write up on Mitch. I am going to the workshop tomorrow. I like what you painted too!! sandra

Karen said...

I love reading about workshops. thanks for posting about this. I really look forward to hearing more about what exactly you discover in your search for better brushwork and better edges. What specifically do these mean? I'm thinking about exactly those things also lately.
Nice work too! I think the sky is fantastic.

Chuck Dilmore said...

beautiful experience - good for you, Celeste!

i also love your result!
nice, nice going!

peace~
Chuck

susan hong-sammons said...

Thanks for posting these and the info. I'm on a look-out for a plein air teacher. Glad to know you recommend Mitchel.

Dean H. said...

Love your paintings, Celeste!
Thanks for your commentary on those extremely important painting factors...Brush work, edges, and graying. Please keep it coming!

Celeste Bergin said...

Karen..better brushwork and edges for me will mean more variety. I have a tendency to use the same type of brushwork throughout an entire painting. I need to work on sharper edges and softer edges, etc.
I visited your blog recently--wow--want good pieces you are turning in!

Celeste Bergin said...

Thanks so much Sandra, Karen, Chuck, Susan and Dean..I appreciate your stopping by to have a look at what I am doing. :)