Monday, June 15, 2009

Green...Green....Green... part II

Katherine van Schoonhoven and I went to Whitaker Pond Natural Area today. I spent quite a lot of time sketching the trees in my sketchbook before I started painting. Despite my good planning, my painting became a scraper in short order. I took a couple photos, however, and later in the afternoon I painted the painting above from my photo. I think it worked out pretty well-- I had spent so much time really looking at things earlier the memory was still fresh in my mind.  It was a very pleasant outing... Katherine and I agreed that it was a nice spot --worth the trip.
Pond oil on 8x8 canvas panel
Tree oil on 5 x 7 canvas panel

10 comments:

Katherine van Schoonhoven said...

Any day spent plein air painting is a good day! You're top painting looks beautiful!

Janelle Goodwin said...

Your greens are great, Celeste. I think you incorporated some colors (besides the greens) that make them harmonious. Lovely!

J. DeHart said...

Your recent plein air paintings are truly inspiring...beautiful work!

Ann Buckner said...

I am enjoying your landscapes, Celeste. You really know how to capture the essence of a scene.

Ann Buckner said...

I am really enjoying your landscapes, Celeste. You know how to capture the essence of a scene. I thought I posted this but it wasn't showing up so hope you don't get a duplicate message. :)

Chuck Dilmore said...

wow...
i just wanna BE there!
this is lovely, Celeste!

Dean H. said...

Like 'em both...but that top one reigns supreme in color and design!

B Boylan said...

Wow, this is really nice Celeste. I like how my eyes travel through the piece exploring the nooks and crannies of the trees. Yummy!

Also, I won't be able to come out to your reception after all. Family tragedy. Will be back in full swing soon. All my best to you at the event!
B

Gary Keimig said...

very nice. I like them both.

http://www.onpainting.wordpress.com said...

I like this tree - a wonderful study.