Sunday, June 7, 2009

Mitch Baird Workshop (Sunday)





Mitch began the day by talking about seeing major shapes in the landscape. He challenged us to paint in the simplest way ...only adding details after establishing all the big shapes in accurate values. I loved watching Mitch paint the refections in the water. I did two paintings..one of the same scene Mitch painted and a second painting of trees in a distant field.
Without question..Mitch Baird gets 5 stars from me! We spent a lot of time discussing massing, major shapes and color temperature. The weather was gray again today--a perfect day for "direct observation". "We are all writers out here", Mitch said.."just taking notes that might develop into a complete story."

8 comments:

B Boylan said...

Wow Celeste, it makes me want to put down my dusty pastels and pick up oils again! His workshops look enticing to me. Missed you at the reception at Doll Gardner Gallery.

Jill Berry said...

Great quote and inside scoop. Thanks for taking us there...

Kathleen Krucoff said...

This just fascinates me. Thanks for sharing Celeste.

Pam Holnback said...

Thanks for posting all of these photos and info. It allows me to take a little mini-workshop.

L.Holm said...

Great paintings! Looks like a fantastic workshop.

t_rAt said...

Great! Magical gray.

t_rAt said...

And thank you for sharing and for your Blog List =) I am exploring it right now.

Ann Buckner said...

Enjoyed reading about your workshop and viewing the photos of your work. Sounds like you had an exceptional time learning.