Thursday, July 23, 2009

Troweling on the paint


I've missed painting for a few days...working on un-art-related chores ...but tonight I did a small painting (5x7) out of my little cigar box pochade box. I really enjoyed painting this I and felt very freed up to slather on the paint. (Elio Camacho would be proud! He tried to impress upon our class that expressive brushwork is the key to plein air painting). I have taken three workshops in the last year. Eric Jacobsen, Mitch Baird and Elio Camacho are my Gurus! I don't know why they are so good at both painting and instructing...but they are and I feel really fortunate to have had the opportunity to learn from them. If you are serious about painting--take a workshop. You can learn a lot from books......but learning direct painting directly from talented artists is a favorable and direct approach!

11 comments:

Katherine van Schoonhoven said...

Wow! Look at the beautiful paint! I love it. Keep up the great work!!

rob ijbema said...

lovely little bit of expresion celeste!

Ann Buckner said...

Love the strokes and thickness of paint. Very vibrant!

Janelle Goodwin said...

I really love this painting, Celeste!

JMahorney said...

Beautiful. I love it!

rahina qh said...

lovely rich brushstrokes, clearly you enjoyed doing this one and such a delight Celeste. and grat blog, glad to have discovered it. r.

Karen E. Lewis said...

Cool! I can see the paint! How did you photograph it to show the brushwork?
Karen

Dean H. said...

I feel this is oil painting at its' best...as it should be! Impasto and expressive...allow the paint and painter to show off!! :)

Chuck Dilmore said...

glad you enjoyed creating this...
it's lovely, Celeste!

Karen said...

wow wow wow, that paint is so fantastic!! It's a really strong painting, so small, and so much power.

bullwinkle said...

Gorgeous painting, Celeste