Thursday, July 16, 2009

Elio Camacho workshop Day Four, Edgefield McMenamins





Today our workshop group met at Edgefield McMenamins. Elio started the session giving us a lesson in "envelope drawing" and "triangulation." Specifically, triangulation is a method for checking your drawing against what you are observing for accuracy. He also talked with us about composition.."the most controversial subject in painting." Elio drew out some thumbnails in paint, describing several compositions and how all of them are valid. It depends on what the artist is trying to convey, he said... some paintings are considered to be good despite compositional flaws. That's art! After this talk we found our places and painted for a couple hours until lunch. Lunch was exceptional...we shoved together three picnic tables and ordered food from the very good restaurant. After lunch Karen and I went to the gift shop and tried on hats. I bought a KimberlyKentMichaelOrwick style straw hat and Karen got a floppy hat that has a touch of a 60's feel. Buying hats! Such a resorty thing to do. We painted buildings today and I had my usual battle with the foliage. I had to leave early ..so I missed Elio's late afternoon demonstration. Tomorrow is our last day...we'll be going to the Vista House.
(My Painting):

6 comments:

Karen E. Lewis said...

Celeste,

Your little potting shed looks great and so does the hat!

Karen

L.Holm said...

Love the hat! Did you ever achieve the painting more thickly challenge? I have trouble with that. Can't seem to get thicker paint off the brush! any tips???

Celeste Bergin said...

Liz..I am better at buying hats than painting thickly. Elio did have much to say about the brushwork necessary for putting on tons of paint. His "thing" is tons of paint. He is so adept at this impasto thing that he can place a light paint over a dark in one deft stroke. It all has to do with brush angle and pressure. I have not gotten the hang of it at all--but I intend to practice!

Celeste Bergin said...

thanks Karen...it was fun standing next to you & Mike to paint the shed! I learned a lot in the workshop..and I really enjoyed *shopping* with you!

B Boylan said...

Ya gotta have a hat when you paint so you'll look extra "artsy"! Can't leave home without it!

Karen said...

wow that light on the edge of the house is amazing!