Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Elio Camacho workshop Day Two, Corbett, OR





Vicki Zimmerman and I carpooled to Corbett today. We were a half hour early, but as we pulled into the parking lot we saw painters already set up. Soon we realized that these were the painters in our workshop taking advantage of Elio's offer to paint with him before and after the workshop everyday. Mike Orwick was in the early painters and already had one entire sun-up painting all finished. Vicki and I felt like total slackers. Elio did 4 or 5 paintings between the last time we saw him and this morning (!).
Today Elio talked to us about design principles, more about color temperature, dynamic brushstrokes, center of interest, underpainting, highlights, transparency vs. opacity, perspective, edges, "catalogs of color"--well, you get the picture, he gave us a thorough crash course on oil painting. (Elio is first rate at explaining things, demonstrating physically precisely what he is describing verbally).
It was a different type of day than yesterday. It wasn't as easy to find a good spot to set up and the tourists were swarming! I set out to be deliberate with values and also to paint thickly. I think I managed good values, but I didn't manage to paint thicker. I wonder why that is such a challenge. It's only paint! Well, three more days to go--I will have plenty more opportunities to try again.

6 comments:

Bill Sharp said...

Nice one Celeste.

Please give my best to Elio. I wish I could have made the workshop.

Katherine van Schoonhoven said...

Beautiful! Looks like you are having a great time at the workshop!!

Honor Martinez said...

I love how you captured the colors. I have great difficulty appling paint thickly, I think there is a bit of Scot in my genetic code.

Honor Martinez said...

I love how you captured the colors. I have great difficulty appling paint thickly, I think there is a bit of Scot in my genetic code.

B Boylan said...

Nice one Celeste! You may make me a convert to oil yet, with your Elio recommendations!

Kathleen Krucoff said...

Wonderful colors. Sounds like a great workshop. Anxious to see more.