Wednesday, July 1, 2009


This project began because of a group assignment to paint another group member. My partner is Mary L. I know that she is Native American. She once told me that she used to wear a leather strap across her forehead during the 60's. Mary is always laughing and I often think that she has an extremely serious side that she hasn't yet shared with us. All this was in my mind today when I painted this. I didn't use a reference, I just painted an impression of all these ideas. I really enjoyed the lack of color and breaking the rules by painting with black and adding blue for flesh color. After a time this strong willed young person emerged and I don't know if she fully describes my ideas about Mary...but she took over the canvas and more less told me to leave it right here. It's a study.

4 comments:

Chuck Dilmore said...

beautiful work, Celeste!
all of your choices are just stellar!

hope things are great in your world!
peace & love~
Chuck

Celeste Bergin said...

thanks so much Chuck!

Katherine van Schoonhoven said...

Very cool, Celeste! She looks like a combination of you and Mary, but since you look nothing alike, how can that be?

Celeste Bergin said...

thanks Katherine...you know, I think you are right...she IS a combination of me and Mary!