Monday, August 10, 2009

Charcoal (and turpentine) sketch (me!)


When you don't have a lot of time to lay out paints you can always reach for some charcoal and your sketchbook...that takes NO time at all. I spent the last two days cleaning my "bunker" studio. I have two mirrors on my drafting table so at the end of the day I dashed out this sketch of me. When the model is you...the model is always available!
I took drawing a long time ago. Our teacher taught us to mix turpentine with charcoal. Everything I drew back then had a decided Jim Dine influence. (I think Dine actually mixed graphite with shellac,..but his exquisite drawings were extra dark and wash-y). The whole turpentine thing became a bit of a crutch for me back then...but well, who's kidding who...I STILL love charcoal and turpentine.

(charcoal & turpentine sketch 6 x 8)
and yes..this is the AFTER photo of my studio clean up.

2 comments:

Chuck Dilmore said...

great space!
exquisite face.

Chuck Dilmore said...

i keep coming back to this one.
(you know why.)