Sunday, August 30, 2009

Day four--2009 Hood River Plein Air Competition/Event


I met up with lots of painters today at Hollenbeck Park in Trout Lake, WA. It's a pretty place with many choices, but I got there and just wandered around aimlessly. That happens sometimes. All the other people seem very decisive ...but I scuffle about ...unable to land on anything. I decided to swing over to a lake in the Gifford Pinchot area. I started a water lily sketch but then quickly realized it was too ambitious for me today...it was getting late. I turned turn my attention to another part of the lake.  During the 2nd start it dawned on me that this was just about as complex a scene as the one I had abandoned! In the end I liked a lot about my painting ..but I heard the voices of my teachers (Eric, Mitch, Elio) all admonishing me that I didn't really establish a nice contrast anywhere...I used similar brushwork throughout (another drawback)...and I didn't really leave room for accents. It does have some successful areas--but it is not anything to write home to Mother about either. Sigh. I proved all my problems by checking it in grayscale. Well...it was a good day nevertheless and I am still glad I went to Trout Lake!
(Gifford Pinchot Lake oil on 8x10 canvas panel)

5 comments:

Cathleen Rehfeld said...

Celeste, your values are so great! Love this painting too! You are going to sell lots of paintings!

B Boylan said...

A LILLY POND? Whoa, wish I was there!
Thanks for sharing that value image...I think I need to do that more often.
We're rootin' for ya here in Portland!

L.Holm said...

It's beautiful, Celeste. How smart to check it in gray scale! great great tip.

Kathleen Krucoff said...

I think your painting is absolutely stunning Celeste! What a beautiful location too.

Chuck Dilmore said...

we're glad you went, too...
this is beautiful, Celeste!