Friday, August 28, 2009

day two--2009 Hood River Plein Air Competition/Event


We painted at Columbia Hills State Park today. I was surprised to find a cemetery near the entrance to the park. Those who know me know that cemeteries are an interest of mine! There were lots of "keep out" signs because this was an Indian cemetery. From there I drove to Dalles Mountain Road and along the way I came upon a huge rib cage hung on a fence! (scroll down) How is that for unusual? Do you think Georgia O'Keeffe might have chosen that as her subject? I sketched some views from Dalles Mountain Road and then called it a day. On the way home I got to see that big newsworthy fire in Mosier. I saw orange flames leaping into the sky and traffic was stalled heading east on 1-84. Finally, I want to report that my big woven tote bag that I use to haul my supplies has finally given out. I've replaced it with this big plastic file box from Office Depot. It is amazing how much that thing holds! I like my tote bag better, but this holds as much stuff as two tote bags! That is my cat Moofie...sitting on my gear.
(the vista sketch is oil on 8 x 8 gessoed hardwood panel)



5 comments:

Katherine van Schoonhoven said...

I will miss seeing the tote bag! Beautiful paintings so far, Celeste! Keep up the great work and enjoy hanging with the other (31!) artists. A great group of painters, too.

Pam Holnback said...

Love the complementary colors in this piece. Isn't it great to have the support/commaraderie of a group of artists.

Edda Meinikat said...

The painting of that path is my favourite, absolutely gorgeous, love it.

n. rhodes harper said...

your paintings are wonderful and the cemetary looks interesting. Did the keep out sign make you want to go in? lol

Celeste Bergin said...

Thanks Kvan, Pam, Edda and Nancy! Yes, Nancy the sign made me want to go in all the more...but I learned that Native Americans are emphatic about keeping their ground sacred! so when the sign says keep out now-I comply!