Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Plein air..revisited

I'm pleased to report that I was able to revisit my scrapped painting and salvage it. Part of the problem was that I had too much information in the painting (despite my simple value sketch). A painting suffers--when there is scads of tiny details that distract. I think I successfully scrubbed out the extraneous detail. It is a purposefully gray painting. There is beauty in the grayness and the "not knowing," especially when there is the promise of a new day.

8 comments:

Katherine van Schoonhoven said...

Wow! This is beautiful! You've stayed with your strong three-value sketch and the painting is STRONG! Good work.

Galina Nikolova said...

Hello,
Beautiful color harmony. Wonderful landscape with lovely mood.
Kindest regards

polusladkaia said...

Truly luminous!

Karen said...

I love this painting, I love the gray. And thanks for the reminder on unnecessary detail. I was just looking at this in some of mine today (and into the 'paint-over' pile they went)

Chuck Dilmore said...

wow - really glad you resurrected this!
very nice!

peace~
Chuck

Kathleen Krucoff said...

I think this is just gorgeous Celeste! So happy you went back to it and stayed true to what you wanted.

Connie Tom said...

Hi Celeste, This one is beautiful! I love the cool, peaceful and color harmony about this one. ~ Connie

G. Lindwood said...

Ooohh, I missed seeing this one earlier. Calm, moody, very appealing colors. Very nice.