Monday, August 24, 2009

"Waiting" Sketch and leftover paints painting


Last week I met a friend for lunch. We met at the Hollywood Burger Bar and I got there first..so I sat at the bar. I needed something to do while I waited, so I sketched a woman there who was wearing very square glasses. Sketching makes the time go by so fast! Before I knew it my friend was there. The woman-subject caught my eye once and I read her thought..she wondered, "why are you looking at me?" I bet it is a little weird to be the subject of a sneaky sketcher.
Today I did a plein air painting (a landscape) that I am pretty happy with--but I put it away without photographing it. I have to let it sit for a day and look at it again. I have to doublecheck with myself about whether or not it is a good painting. I felt happy with it when I did it....but there have been times when something I was happy with morphed overnight into something I became unhpappy with. Funny how that could happen..! It has to do with "day-after objectivity".
When I got home I remembered how Michael Orwick did some paintings from his leftover paint on his palette..so I did just that! I used a photo reference to produce this painting, "Outside the All-Night Cafe" (6 x 8 on canvas panel). I know I like this one.

3 comments:

Katherine van Schoonhoven said...

Great sketch, Celeste! Most people don't mind being sketched, but sometimes people get testy! Just be prepared to turn the page quickly if they suddenly step over to look at your drawing.

Edda Meinikat said...

I know that it would make me feel a little unwell if I noticed that someone looked at me more than just casually; love your sketch, though, and I wonder whether you are going to share this with the woman in question. She might actually like it. In that case, I would probably feel honored, ;-) .

GENICA said...

I recently came accross your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I dont know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.


Sara

http://paintingdrawing.net