Sunday, September 13, 2009

Practice..!

I am going to spend time drawing every day--and making considered value relationship decisions! I confess to falling prey to hurry-itis in the early stages of a painting. Sure, sometimes painting fast is favorable, but not at the expense of correct values. Today I set up some objects and spent time with a pencil considering how dark is this and how light is that (in comparison). I could have done better with that drawing (Q. why does my linseed oil look like ketchup? A. because it's too dark!). Well, just having observed how each thing related to the other things in the pencil drawing first made the monochrome painting easier to produce. Note to self: add to my supply list..kneaded eraser.


4 comments:

Mariano Zucchi said...

Hi Celeste,
A very good idea i believe. You are really dedicated to art. From the photo i think i see 3 shadows for each object. This complicates things I think, a Single light surce would simplyfy the piece. I would put the setup close to a window and inside a shadow box. This said , is a very good composition that i like a lot. An eraser works great to bring out any very minute hightlight you desire. I love the soft one you can shape with your fingers into a point.

Chuck Dilmore said...

Awww... these are awesome!

Karen E. Lewis said...

What good discipline. I should do that too.

Karen

Dean H. said...

I'm guilty of not drawing enough. In too much of a hurry to paint. Congratulations on your discipline.