Sunday, September 20, 2009

Sunflowers and chair


I painted a very successful painting of two chairs and a table a couple of years ago. Everyone liked that painting. So, shortly after that success, I went to my friend George Broderick and proclaimed: "George! I know what I will do next! I will do a series of chairs!" I was very enthusiastic about this idea. "I will paint tall chairs and short chairs! Big chairs and little chairs! Bright chairs and dull chairs!" George just looked at me and said....."bad idea". I wasn't exactly sure why he wasn't keen on my idea ..but I understand now. It is just never a good idea to revisit a subject over and over again because it was "popular". I felt it has been long enough ago that I could paint a practice painting of another chair...without any danger of becoming a commodity artist.
oil on 5 x 7 canvas panel

6 comments:

Mariano Zucchi said...

Hi Celeste,
small in size but big in scope, I love this composition, very expressive and with nice brushstrokes

Dean H. said...

Great brushwork...I love that texture and color stringing down under the left flower!

Hey...chairs and flowers might just be your special thing!!! ;)

Chuck Dilmore said...

whoa i LOVE this!
beautiful, Celeste!

Katherine van Schoonhoven said...

Very pretty!

As I recall, George LOVED your painting of the chairs so much he bought it for himself!! Not to mention encouraging everyone to notice how great it is and how it should be voted People's Choice!

Paint as many chairs as excite you -- great work!

ArtSparker said...

A tough decision...the buying public can be very fond of repetition. This is a beautifully balanced composition.

Dale Sherman Blodget said...

Hi Celeste!

I love this one. Colors, application, composition, subject and STORY. I wonder why revisiting the subject seemed a bad idea though. If you were intrigued by the possibilities..... You're right though about revisiting based on popularity.

So, I'm so excited that I'll be in Portland on Nov. 6th. I thought it would be fun to attend the opening of Cast Shadows. Tell me more, please.