Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Using up the blue on my palette and conjuring Edward Gorey


It is raining today. I still had a pile of blue on my palette from the last time I painted and I had an idea for a "waiting in the rain" image--I just dashed it out as a rough idea. I didn't really intend for it to look so completely despondent...but sometimes things happen that I almost don't have any control over. In the end it reminded me of a Edward Gorey illustration...just not as whimsical. The umbrella looks like a bat and the blue with no relief (like another color) certainly looks ...so lonely! I doubt that I'll take the idea any further..but there is no denying that it is kind of interesting.... just as it is!

7 comments:

Mariano Zucchi said...

Hi Celeste,
I like monochrome stuff, this is good , the umbrella remind me of monet wife in the poppie field! Also love your sketches.You should try sketching with a toothpick and ink a la Renee';is great because since you hold the toothpick with only 2 fingers you have to use your arm to draw just like oil painting.
Best

Katherine van Schoonhoven said...

You've been busy! Sad blue woman... is she sad about the rain this week?

Pam Holnback said...

Celeste, I love this mono-study. We can always use a value lesson. You've given me food for thought. And, great sketches.

Celeste Bergin said...

thanks all! Katherine, I don't know why she's sad --nothing a little peach color wouldn't solve..haha

Karen E. Lewis said...

How moody and fun! What a good way to use paint!

Karen

ArtSparker said...

It's despondent in a charming way, or charming in a despondent way.

Dean H. said...

YOU HAVE AN AWARD

You've been awarded the Kreativ Blogger Award. You can visit my blog to accept and pass it on to other deserving artists and bloggers.
But if you should choose to pass on this one, I understand.

Congratulations!

Love your monochrome rain girl!