Tuesday, October 13, 2009

"Cast Shadows"

I am excited to have been invited to submit work to a juried show at Aurora Gallery in Vancouver. The emphasis is on landscape and the name of the show is: Cast Shadows, Pacific Northwest Plein Air. A year ago I painted at Conboy National Wildlife Refuge and put together some good studies with snow. (There was plenty of snow last year!) To my way of thinking, snow and cast shadows makes a super-pleasing design. I hope the juror agrees. We'll see! I should mention that this is about 90% done.
Many of my most successful paintings have been "carefully considered" with a preliminary sketch..like this one:

(Do you like to think through your idea beforehand.....or do you jump right in with paint?)

9 comments:

Lozzano said...

I love his work in general, but especially his landscapes, grand and evocative.
A greeting.
Excuse my bad English.

Janelle Goodwin said...

Celeste, This painting is an eye catcher. Beautiful shadows and trees receding into the distance. Love it!

Pam Holnback said...

The cast shadows are beautifully rendered-soft edges. Both, sometimes I sketch and plan; sometimes I jump right in.

Caio Fernandes said...

this painting is wonderful ... i really loved every single detail of it !
i have here in my house a book of Eduard Munch with very especific works fron the time he lived in a small town in Germany ... with many landscapes that your work now made me remenber about .
but sure , you have your own touch and personality ... i just remembered because those are my vaforite landscapes i ever saw ( and now this ) !!!
see you !!

Don Bishop said...

Very Nice!

Sheila said...

Your 'Cast Shadows' is stunning! I love it when an artist knows how to paint so light pops from the canvas!

I jump right in but seeing your beautiful work is going to have me trying to plan the next couple of pieces!

Frank P. Ordaz said...

I just jump in...but I need to do what you recommend.

Kathleen Krucoff said...

I just love this Celeste. Your colors are great.

I don't paint, as you know, but I tend to have an idea in my mind and start working on it for my fused glass. When I create a piece of jewelry, I have a sketch that I work from and it evolves.

Congrats on being asked to participate at the juried show. It should be a great event. Wishing you much success.

Kathy said...

Congratulations! This is a very effective painting. Love the cast shadows.