Saturday, October 31, 2009

Happy Halloween!


I really like crow and raven imagery..and it seems like lots of other people do too, judging from the number of ravens on display in galleries and stores. Obviously, I am not the only one who finds ravens to be cool.
From mythology: The Raven is a central figure in West Coast native traditions from California to Alaska. Among his many feats, he stole the moon and sun from the Sky Chief and put them in the sky, brought humans the first berries and salmon, and (according to several traditions) called the first humans up from the earth, or discovered the first human babies within a clamshell. Raven was perpetually hounded by the trickster-god, Coyote.
I purposefully made my Halloween Raven slick. Woe to the Coyote that tries to trick him.
Oil on 9 x 12 Wallis sanded paper

6 comments:

Sheila said...

Ravens are highly intelligent. I love that you captured that glint in his eye.

Katherine van Schoonhoven said...

Very cool. This raven won't let anything get past him!

Lozzano said...

Misterious image ... very appropriate to Halloween. Halloween is not a Spanish festivity, but in last years the people celebrate Halloween here too. I supose is because the Spanish celebrate whatever. We like parties. Greetings.

Dean H. said...

Looks like a street-wise dude! Nothin' gets past the evil eye. Well done. I love to do ravens/crows in my art! As a kid, I had a crow for a pet...named him Crawford...so seeing crows brings back fond memories.

Caio Fernandes said...

i like so much the way you did this one !!
yes , i like ravens too .
you know , we don't have it here . i have to leave the country to see then .
again , your painting is incredible !!

ArtSparker said...

Wonderful liquid rendering here.