Sunday, October 4, 2009

Let a smile be your umbrella

I was taken aback recently when told by a friend of mine that my smile looks fake. Really? Well, I smile a lot. I have a lot to smile about and yet sometimes when the camera man is endlessly focusing I guess my smile gets a plastered on look. (Obama is likewise accused). But, I assure you that my smile is authentic...because I get to paint every day and spend time with people who love visual art.

I am never going to be one of those glum artists who want to be mired in the worst of things (although I love melancholy dark paintings too--I just don't "stay there"). I love life. You'll find me SMILING through all the next chapters in the book of life.

It is my earnest belief that when we smile, we not only help ourselves, we encourage others around us. Even a so-called forced smile will always trump a frown in my book. I sincerely hope that you are in the midst of miles of smiles in your life too.

7 comments:

ArtSparker said...

Your smile looks quite unforced to me.

This friend...would he/she happen to be cranky friend?

Celeste Bergin said...

Hi Artspark...nah, she is a good friend. Thanks for the nice comment!

Janelle Goodwin said...

One can tell your smile is real because you smile with your eyes!

rob ijbema said...

yes keep smiling celeste,
make me and others happy

Mariano Zucchi said...

Hi Celeste,
I think Janelle got to the hearth of the matter. You definetly have the right attitude toward life. Keep smiling, it looks great on you!

Edda Meinikat said...

Hi, Celeste, just like Janelle and the others said, I love your smile. Actually, I wonder whether your friend just made that comment because she knows when you are probably more tired; she might be able to tell the difference. Still, your smile looks very genuine and beautiful, good to know that you have got this love for life in your heart. Keep smiling, ;-).

Chuck Dilmore said...

t'is a beautiful smile, m'Lady
and we are blessed by
every photograph
of your likeness.

change not a thing.
and Bravo~
Chuck