Thursday, October 15, 2009

Hello, Hollywood

(click to enlarge)

Ever since I discovered that I can paint over old paintings..I really like doing it. It is amazing to me how the painting beneath can show through, lending itself to the new version.
I found a painting of fellow artist Quin Sweetman that I did during a life painting session (scroll down to the very end of this post to see it). It's a so-so painting and it doesn't do her justice at all. Today I turned that old Quin painting upside down and painted over it. Using a photo reference, I painted this new person (wearing sunglasses). In our art discussion group recently we had a conversation about painting with suggestion, utilizing more lost and found edges. We also talked about painting just for fun..without rhyme or reason. I had both these ideas in mind as I painted this. I photographed the stages to show the transformation from old painting..to new. I'm just going to leave the new painting just as it is. So, goodbye, old Quin (I have some other better paintings of her)...and hello Hollywood.




8 comments:

James Parker said...

Dramatic and interesting...the colors are outstanding. Nice work. Celeste.

Lozzano said...

Metamorphosis fantastic!

Katherine van Schoonhoven said...

Your new painting makes an excellent argument for painting over your old canvasses!

She's got that "don't hate me because I'm beautiful look" about her -- love it!

Sheila said...

Love this and love how you showed the progression! You've inspired me to try something like this soon.

ArtSparker said...

That new portrait certainly has a lot of character, I wouldn't like to tangle with her.

Christopher O'Handley said...

Nice way to reclaim an old painting. I've got lots of those sitting around, hmmm...

I haven't checked in here in a while, but I'm glad I did. I was scrolling back a few pages and found the series of paintings you did for the Hood River Plein Air Event. Wow! Especially "Golden Moment", what an eye catcher! Very nice work you're doing.

Kathy said...

Your transformation of this painting is awesome! You really pulled-it-off and created a very effective portrait. Kudos!

Caio Fernandes said...

Celeste , what great feeling is to see the prosses of this work !!!
and the final result is wonderful ... i liked the right side of the face even more .

thanks !!