Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Nearly Halloween

This painting is a couple of years old. Originally it was just the street scene and I added the figure because the painting needed "something"...and this just came to me. I guess the creepy light suggested it. It's rare where I paint something just "out-of-my head". I almost always use photo reference or paint directly from life. Well, since it is nearly Halloween I thought I'd dust this off and put it up on my blog. Haven't you always been totally fascinated with the Ripper? How do you lean..do you think he was Royalty? In honor of Halloween, here is a horror movie quiz for you. I got 7 out of 10. I was disappointed--I thought I'd get 100% easy.

"Jack" Oil on 11x18 stretched canvas

9 comments:

B Boylan said...

Don't you just love it when these older paintings get an injection of clarity? Love what you did with it Celeste! Just in time for the creepies!

Sheila said...

You did give this a chillingly eerie feel to it, congrats! I admire how even though this is from your imagination, you captured the cool light on the right side and the warm light on the left side of the figure.

susan hong-sammons said...

perfect title. Love the beautiful mystery in "Nearly Halloween."

Janelle Goodwin said...

Creepy Jack the Ripper lurking in the shadows! I love it!

Mariano Zucchi said...

Hi Celeste,
looks like the cover of a book, it does make your imagination run wild.It looks fantastic.

Kathy said...

Thanks for the link to the Halloween quiz: I got 8 out of 10! Your painting is "chilling!" Great choice for this holiday.

ArtSparker said...

Funny, I thought of the Christmas Carol. Although, in the sense of relentlessness, there is perhaps something horrific about its place in our culture...Wonderfully atmospheric narrative piece.

Kimberly Kent said...

On a trip to the UK a few years ago i took my family on a Jack the Ripper walking tour. It was led by a local expert who took us to the actual spot where several murders happened and gave us the details. We ended at the pub where he is thought to have selected the victims. Really cool!
Where is the street in your painting?

Edda Meinikat said...

Love this painting, and yes, there is a great fascination in the story of Jack the Ripper. Having read an incredible number of novels and reports about that period of time, I personally feel that a lot speaks in favour of the Ripper having been someone with connection to the Royal Family, however, not necessarily a member of the Royals. The theory that he may have been the Queen's doctor is the one I like best. Anyway, please make sure you save this painting, it is a jewel. ;-)