Tuesday, October 20, 2009

A snow scene....with a strong diagonal


My last snow painting turned out favorably..no doubt because I planned ahead. It is such a good idea to get the idea in your head, however you do it, before setting paint to canvas. I referred to my previous on-site photo and did a sketch from it. As I did the sketch I felt more in tune with the scene. I probably have some more details to add to the painting--but I thought I would stop here, before I took it too far. I'll revisit it in a day or so.
Preliminary sketch:

11 comments:

Katherine van Schoonhoven said...

ooh. aah. beautiful!

Mariano Zucchi said...

Hi Celeste,
Is looking great, the thumbnail cought my eye.I liked the nice play of worm and cool in the shadows.

Jim Serrett said...

Wonderful work. Nice shadow pattern.
But no, no I am not ready for snow.
:)

ArtSparker said...

Wonderful light and shadows in this.

Caio Fernandes said...

can my mind live inside this work ? please ?
this is beautiful ....

Todd Smith's Painting a Day said...

Very, very nice! This painting, I think, is getting me in the mood for the inevitable.

Janelle Goodwin said...

That strong diagonal with the soft, beautiful light is a head turner. Really charming, lovely painting, Celeste.

Sheila said...

How nice of you to include the sketch and share your work process. I really like the way you rendered the snow with a little lavender in the shadow. simply wonderful!

rob ijbema said...

lovely celeste
i like the lead in and the tumbnail sketch looks good too!

rahina q.h. said...

this is ging beautifully, looking forward to seeing the changes you make next, r.

Claudia Finn said...

so simply perfectly beautiful!!