Sunday, November 29, 2009

disappointing drawing ...that isn't that bad


Blogging is such an interesting deal. Often you're working on something and at the end of it you think--meh! That's certainly not blogg-able. This was my first drawing from the other day. I found it so dislikable that I did another version that seemed an improvement. Now tonight I run into this first version and think..hm.. that is simply not a bad effort at all. Does this ever happen to you--where your work looks disappointing, but later, after a day or two you realize--that it is less of a disaster than you originally thought?

6 comments:

ArtSparker said...

Lovely study -yes, I see the second (earlier) version. Is this someone we should recognize - an author?

Celeste Bergin said...

Susan, it is from an early photo of artist Georgia O'Keeffe :)

Honor Martinez said...

You are right on! It often surprises me when I look at an earlier painting that I felt wasn't good and realize I had been too critical, more focused on the small details, the minor details that I could improve and not the essence of the painting. Thankfully my sisters and husband keep telling me to stop being so critical or I might be tempted to not paint.

Chuck Dilmore said...

Ooo, i can totally relate!

and so glad
that you came back
to this guys!

man... he is saying
so much, those eyes.
the way he is looking off.

i actually love this.

Chris said...

absolutely-just goes to show, you need to step away-maybe all the way out of the room- and come back another time when your "attitude" has changed and you get to be pleasantly surprised by your work. Love the way you are recycling your old paintings-very green.

Kerri Settle said...

I like it! It's definitely blog-worthy.

I'm very much the second-guesser, and have constantly been trying to work on learning to be impartial and seeing a piece with fresh eyes, but it's not easy at all.