Sunday, November 8, 2009

Reading .....and painting

I've owned a small book entitled Hawthorne on Painting for a long while. I'm sure someone suggested it to me. It isn't the type of book you pick out unless you are privy to the fact that lots of good painters recommend it. It's doesn't have any images in it...but it is considered a painter's Bible of sorts. After Hawthorne reminded me today how important each brushstroke is..I was deliberate with my value relationships in this painting (from a photo reference). I'm satisfied that the values look pretty good. It needs some touch ups here and there. If I determine that this is a good enough painting to show in the future I might entitle it: Winter Green.

Oil on 8x8 canvas panel

9 comments:

Pam Holnback said...

You should be satisfied. The values are good, and the water, and the sky holes. I also have that book, he is a master.

Katherine van Schoonhoven said...

Very Tom Thomson! Love the green sky!

Caio Fernandes said...

they way you built the trees is fantastic , reminds me a Monet work that the first time i saw , i got 1 or 2 hours in front of it just looking to the trees .
then i went back to look at that for the whole month .....
this is incredible , need a great sensitivity and a good eye for to do this .
thank you Celeste

Kathy said...

You nailed it!! Nice job. The value composition is great and you also effectively created luminosity. Beautiful.-

Linny said...

hello, i'm lost in your blog. lol! and this blog seems to be interesting.

i love this painting. the strokes, the colors, the gradation, all looks sweet yet masculine. beautiful.

ArtSparker said...

I like the off-centeredness of this, as if one were in motion while looking at it. I am sending a friend who does etchings to look at this.

mark said...

Its good enough, its smart enough and doggone it people like it. Especially me. I guess I'll have to get that book if it would help me make such a beautiful thing as this.

Janelle Goodwin said...

Ooooh. I really like the colors in the sky and river.

TJ said...

I really like the painting and I have the book you mentioned. It makes me nervous - requires attention when I want to be freely painting! But, that being said, I think the points he makes are well spoken and have value. I should definitely read it more often!

Terry