Monday, November 30, 2009

Redhead


Did you know...?
Redheads constitute approximately four percent of the European population. Scotland has the highest proportion of redheads, as 13 percent of the population has red hair and approximately 40 percent carries the recessive redhead gene. Ireland has the second highest percentage; as many as 10 percent of the Irish population have red, auburn, or strawberry blond hair. It is thought that up to 46 percent of the Irish population carries the recessive redhead gene. Red hair reaches frequencies of up to 10 percent in Wales. In addition, redheads look breathtaking against a green blue background.

oil on 12x12 canvas panel

17 comments:

-Don said...

Beautifully done...and as the father of a redhead, the son of a redhead and the grandson of a redhead, I should know... -Don

Katherine van Schoonhoven said...

Love it! Redheads also have very sensitive (thin) skin. Your painting shows that, too. I like it.

Kathy said...

Beautiful painting, Celeste! I like the directionality, too. Well, I've got Scottish blood and a LOT of redheaded relatives :)

Caio Fernandes said...

lovely

ArtSparker said...

There is some old-school glamor in that one.

Mariano Zucchi said...

Hi Celeste,
a beautiful restfull pose, the read head is a plus ; also like the history of it. My wife is readheaded and my favorite Grandkid Ciara as well. I think greens and browns are beautiful backgrounds as well.

Dale Sherman Blodget said...

WOW.

susan jensen said...

Did you know that red heads and blondes only are 8 to 10 % of the world population? It's predicted that in 50 to 100 years there will be no blondes or red heads. They will be wiped out by the dominate brunette gene.

Lokelani Forrest said...

You have done a lovely job on this piece. I so admire redheads. I don't see many where I live. Appreciate your history and stats on them.

IronBear138 said...

I'm 100% Irish and I don't think we have one red head in our family. However, my mom always said we were Black Irish. :-)

Dean H. said...

Maureen O'Hara would be proud! Lovely work!!

Chuck Dilmore said...

awesome
(and underrated)!

Roberto Marín said...

this is a waonderful work, I have a daughter redhead that is a beautiful woman. I have a portrait of her in my blog.

Sheila said...

I love redheads! They are rare and beautiful just as your painting depicts.

Patricia said...

Truly Beautiful!!!! Wonderful work!

Patricia said...

Truly Beautiful!!!! Wonderful work!

Cat in the box said...

awesome work! thanks for sharing!