Monday, November 16, 2009

Western Tanager, an Oregon bird

I don't often paint subjects from the animal/bird kingdom. I wonder why. Well, here is my attempt to rectify the situation! This is the Western Tanager (painted from a photo reference). I did not get it's pretty head near red enough! Western Tanager's are members of the cardinal family. Despite my struggle with red, I enjoyed painting this guy...(yeah, we know he is a GUY because the female is plain). I can improve this painting later (after it dries). I am very optimistic that I can get him to a point where I know I did him justice!

Oil on 8x8 canvas panel

9 comments:

Caio Fernandes said...

look to these colors !! so alive . the bruchies are giving this "life" feeling too .
i like to paint birds . but there are so few oportunitys for to do this .
so in Oregon exist colorful beautiful birds like this .....good to know .
thank you for what you said about my last post . you have no idea of how much i liked to read that . so simple and perfect .
see you Celeste .

Kathy said...

Wow! What a great start. You really made the red work by surrounding it with neutral hues. I've never seen one of these birds in life, but it must be an amazing sight to behold.

ArtSparker said...

He looks very contemplative.

B Boylan said...

Wow! Love the color in this! I'll have to take a look in my trees for this one to be found yet. Are you entering this into the Audubon show or has this already happened?

Mariano Zucchi said...

Hi Celeste,
Between all of my blog list thumbnails your Western Taneger really stands out. What a wonderful coloring! When you finish make sure to blow on it so it can fly away!!!

Dean H. said...

Hey, Celeste...I have always liked birds and I really like your painting of this tanager! The only one I was familiar with was the scarlet tanager.
Cool how you repeated some of the bird colors into your background!

-Don said...

Hi Celeste, I found you thru Katharine Cartwright's blog and I'm glad I did. I enjoy your work and your words.

One way to make the red of this beauty really POP could be to add just a touch of green to the darks in the background behind his head.

Happy Creating, -Don

Marie Wise said...

This is lovely. I love the concept of painting birds. I've only done one myself, but hope to do more. You captured this one perfectly!

Kathleen Krucoff said...

Oh I really like this Celeste. Very nice.